Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Cracking Cooking-codes

Do you also get the feeling sometimes, when cooking, that there are some "cooking-codes", you just didn't crack yet?!
E.g. when I first wanted to make basmati rice the Indian way - the way where the rice isn't sticky, it took me many months to crack that code! I tried and I tried and either they burned on the bottom of the pot or they were too hard (and then of course non-sticky...) or just sticky or some of them were sticky and the ones on top weren't... Hehe. My husband was patient with me ;) Eating everything I served. Today my rice is quite good, in my eyes :) Almost not sticky at all - but still far from how my (Pakistani) mother-in-law makes her rice, masha'Allah!

There are many many cooking-codes I still need to crack, but the one that is a bit urgent for me is to make samosa's without getting many bubbles on the surface of them and avoiding the oil to get inside the samosa! That last part is a great mystery to me. Hehe. I read about it on a website yesterday and obviously I have fried my samosa's in oil which was too hot!

Another mystery to me is how to make big and soft sweet somali bread (which I wrote about in my post yesterday). I didn't really succeed in making them that way - although the taste was good :) And with a cup of chaï they were perfect this morning.

Well... Insha'Allah I will increase my cookingskills even more with time. I wonder if there is any person out there who always gets all recipies right at first try...  I doubt it. I love cooking food from many different corners of the world, so I haven't got a speciality. Sometimes I cook Moroccan, Arabic, Italian, African, random vegetarian, Indian, Pakistani etc. Often getting inspiration online (e.g. from sisters with food-blogs (thank you!)) or in cooking books from the library :)
Tonight I'm cooking linguine with mushrooms and cream sauce. When you add a little lemon to this dish, it is absolutely heavenly :)

No comments:

Post a Comment